Forums

TopicWhat Causes Sexual Dysfunction in Men With Type 2 Diabetes?

• Wed 14th Aug 2019 - 11:37am

It seems, we must temper our excitement with reality unfortunately, it The Big Diabetes Lie Review was reported that to perfect the artificial pancreas will take many more years - why would that be. Perhaps it is because of the lengthy period required for testing, see comments below regarding that situation for the University of Virginia device. In the past, there have been other announcements of developments towards an artificial pancreas. In May of 2008 for instance, there was a report of a device developed by researchers at the University of Akron, Ohio, referred to as a bioartificial pancreas involving, I believe, islet cells of the pancreas, hence the bio appellation.

Also in October of 2008 it was reported that scientists at the University of Virginia had completed the first clinical trials with successful results, on a system that would, like the Cambridge method, continuously regulate the amounts of insulin released by a pump, similar to the way a normal pancreas of a non-diabetic person works. It was further reported that, after those trials and based on computer simulations of experiments, the FDA granted approval for the researchers to test the artificial pancreas directly on humans without first testing it with animals as is the usual procedure. This cuts development time to six months rather than several years, just like the several years mentioned above for the Cambridge researchers, will they be able to gain fast track approval from the British government too. One hopes so.

The University of Virginia, working with universities from Italy and France on a series of clinical trials, had expected to have results by the end of 2008. I have not, yet, been able to find follow-up reports that I am sure must be available, but I will keep looking. Meanwhile the Cambridge work holds great promise for the type-1 diabetic, a condition that is usually diagnosed in children. There are about 3 million type-1 diabetics in the USA.

Of the three main forms of diabetes, known as type-1, type-2, and gestational diabetes, type-2 is the dominant form, affecting more than 90 percent of the diabetic population everywhere in the world and, in North America, affects more than 25 million persons. Being a type-2 diabetic myself, I primarily focus on that condition and have paid less attention to the other two types, perhaps much less than I should have, and have decided to learn a little more about all diabetic conditions.

https://whatpeopleswant.com/the-big-diabetes-lie-review/

Please register or login to post forum replies